MAXIMUS UK, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MAXIMUS, Inc., operates several business lines in the UK, including the Centre for Health and Disability Assessments, Remploy, Health Management, MAXIMUS People Services and Revitalised. MAXIMUS employs 4,000 local staff, including over 1,400 doctors, nurses, occupational therapists and other Healthcare Professionals. Operating from more than 270 locations in the UK, MAXIMUS is one of the largest providers of employment, health and disability support programmes in the country. Learn more at maximusuk.co.uk.
*** Candidates must be able to drive with own vehicle ***
A Supported Employment Specialist is responsible for the attraction, registration and progression of participants with learning disabilities and autism, and will use a variety of techniques including effective diagnosis, individual coaching and training, action planning and Health & Wellbeing Support to achieve sustainable employment. Supported Employment Specialists will deliver our services through co-location sites and community venues, to ensure our services are accessible to all.
Attraction and Registration
Maintaining strong relationships with Adult Social Care Teams to generate referrals to the programme. Activities may also include conducting outreach activities such as events at community organisations, job fairs, employer events.
- Build and maintain relationships with Jobcentre Plus and other relevant Partners through regular telephone contact, visits and newsletters as appropriate to ensure participants are aware of our services and to allay any concerns they may have with accessing or utilising our services.
- Welcome participants and register them on the programme following system and process guidance
Engagement and Diagnosis
Using a variety of processes, Supported Employment Specialists will identify participants goals, aspirations, motivators and barriers and produce an action plan to progress the participant through their journey with sustainable employment as the goal.
- Explain our service through the programme induction process, and register the participant on the programme in accordance with contractual obligations and eligibility criteria.
- Ensure Initial Assessments focus on getting to know the participant, understanding their motivation for joining the programme and explore their aspirations and needs.
- Identify and utilise various approaches where appropriate to adequately diagnose barriers and set goals.
- Liaise with relevant partners to develop a sustainable support network to support participants with barriers/support needs.
- Produce an action plan with the participant to address participant’s needs.
Progression includes achieving sustainable employment through job search skills, empowerment, confidence building, skills training, and disability, health & wellbeing support.
- Identify and support the participants job goals using creative techniques and deep level questioning to assist with diagnosis and progression.
- Motivate, encourage and empower participants, identifying barriers, realistic job goals and social and training needs, referring as appropriate to relevant support functions
- Develop the participants job search strategy and skills by assisting with tailored job searching, CV creation (e.g. tailored CVs to job goals), interview techniques and identification of job related quantifiable skills.
- Develops the Action Plan ensuring that all soft and hard goals and aims are captured, monitored and developed.
- Engage and empower participants through a range of 1 to 1 and group sessions, with the aim of progressing them to achieve sustainable employment.
Employer Vacancy Development
Sell the benefits of GM WWSESS or a specific participant to Employers to achieve placement opportunities, work trials and vacancies.
- Identify appropriate employer contacts, then develop and maintain relationships as a source of employment opportunities for participants
- Work with local, regional and national employers to identify the right opportunities for participants needs.
In work support
Supporting participants and employers offering tailored In Work Support to help the participant sustain employment.
- Provide individualised in work support using the place, train, fade model and ensuring effective support networks are in place to achieve sustainment
- Conduct meetings with the participant and employer to ensure appropriate support is in place to help the participant sustain employment
- Support the participant in their new role, including providing support with general work issues, finances and tax credits.
- Provide regular support for participants and employers to ensure sustainment of the participant in work.
● Good communication skills, demonstrating experience in listening, questioning and building relationships.
● Customer focused with a strong commitment to customer care.
● A strong team player with a positive and flexible approach to work and colleagues.
● Demonstrable creative problem solving skills and a positive approach to challenging and overcoming any limiting beliefs held by participants.
● Demonstrable ability to plan and organise workload to meet required targets and deadlines.
● Excellent working knowledge of participant barriers, products and interventions available to them locally and funding streams.
● Strong analysis skills including ability to assess and analyse issues/barriers and devise personalised action plans to move clients towards/into employment.
● Excellent Employer Engagement skills to build relationships with employers to generate employment opportunities for participants.
● Attention to detail and right first time data entry.
● Able to work flexible hours and travel through prior arrangement as the needs of the job dictate.
DESIRABLE (compulsory to be attained once in role)
● Prior experience of working in a similar role in the Welfare to Work sector.
● Previous experience of working with remote teams
● Member of the Institute of Employability Professionals.
Note: As well as possessing the necessary qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience, having the right mindset and behaviours which are in line with our company values is equally important. Our Ignite Performance framework gives equal weighting to KPI’s, Objectives and Values and Behaviours.
DESIRABLE - Beyond job coaching, experience of coaching and/or training others in new skills and experiences - Qualified and experienced in the use of Training through Systematic Instruction (TSI)
- Knowledge and understanding of Government and local policy developments in the field of learning disability and/or mental health